APPLY: Send Resume and Cover Letter to Miriam@sucasadv.org
POSITION: COUNSELOR/ADVOCATE – AS NEEDED/RELIEF
Department: Emergency Shelter
REPORTS TO: Emergency Shelter Manager
DESIGNATION: Part Time
HOURS: Hours vary depending on need (mostly evening, weekend and overnight shifts)
POSITION SUMMARY: Supports the healing and well-being of residents by providing counseling and case management; ensures the safety, security and cleanliness of the shelter facilities.
PRIMARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Hotline Crisis Calls: Provides crisis intervention counseling, safety assessments, completes shelter intakes, and/or provides appropriate referrals.
Shelter Residents: Provides, as needed, crisis counseling and case management support. Conducts exits of clients, if needed.
Documentation: By the end of each shift completes required case notes for all services provided and completes intake paperwork for incoming residents.
Shelter Maintenance: Cleans and organizes offices, staff restrooms, staff kitchen and storage units as follows: Clothing Donations – Washes and sorts clothing by size/age/gender, Food Donations – puts away and sorts food by expiration date, and Toys & Misc. Donations – puts away items and organize by age/group.
SECONDARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attends mandatory agency meetings and site specific meetings and trainings.
- Arranges for residents’ transportation as needed and provides emergency transportation, if needed.
- Supports residents in adherence to and understanding of “Resident’s Rights and Responsibilities.”
- Distributes clothing, personal items and medication to clients.
- Follows and implements security procedures.
- Files child abuse reports as mandated.
- Works with volunteers if needed.
- Additional duties and special projects may be assigned as necessary.
- College degree or equivalent experience.
- One-year experience as a counselor/advocate and/or working with survivors of domestic violence. Preferred experience in crisis counseling, de-escalation techniques, and/or conflict resolution.
- Certification in the 40-hour domestic violence counselor/advocate training required by the State of California, or must complete within 3 months of employ.
- Bilingual required: English/Spanish.
- Able to provide client transportation. Valid CA driver’s license and auto liability insurance required.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Good computer knowledge and skills.
- Able to work as a team member and have good interpersonal skills. However, you will mostly work alone, so you must have the ability to take initiative and work independently and productively with minimal supervision.
- Sensitivity to victim’s issues and needs.
- Available by telephone.
- Has not been a client of Su Casa or any other domestic violence agency during the previous 12 months.
- Clear state and FBI criminal background check.
- Available as needed during employee’s stated scheduled availability.
- Able to lift and sort items/donations and climb stairs.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Su Casa ~ Ending Domestic Violence reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
SU CASA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER